Saturday, May 05, 2007
I just am.
Sting:Shape of my heart

(grow a new heart maybe?)
Sorry but its in my collection. No ms news today from me. I have been reading into the dreaded stem cell research....I am really not sure we will find a ms cure here unless they find away for repairing nerve damage and nerve scaring. I don't think the Dave I was will return to 'normal' ever again.

I am sick. I will be sick. I just am! Hey ho!

Reading the research gives me hope for future generations but I guess its just my turn. If you know anything about stem cells you will know this:
There are two places to get them.
The umbilical cord. The biggest bank of stem cells are found in the cord.
You produce your own too. These are found where you grow your own blood. In your bone marrow.

Research into stems cells has to go to the biggest bank but what are the researchers hoping to do with them?

Stem cells are the building blocks of life. They can develop into any of the cells that make up our bodies, from our vital organs to our bones, blood and skin. If that's the case. What do they want to build? Organs are good for some diseases. Heart and lung, kidneys. I can even see how it could cure diabetes I can even see how it helps with helping other diseases but I am struggling to see how it helps with ms. Even if it rebuilds the Myelin sheathe we will still have ms. If you look into stem cells...They are looking for a therapy not a cure.

Sorry but that's my choice, my belief. Hopefully it will bring something more than growing a new nose. Skin is a good idea for burn victims etc but I cannot see how it helps me. Learning about cells is great. Learning about the human genome is fantastic and wonderful but someone has to start looking at the increasing amount of people who are being inflicted with ms globally. If you know my research page you know it's an antigen. Unless they look into genes or how we have the antigen in the first place we wont have a cure in my life time.

Myelin produced by different cell types varies in chemical composition and configuration, but performs the same insulating function. Myelinated neurons are white in appearance, hence the "white matter" of the brain.

Myelin is composed of about 80% lipid fat and about 20% protein. Some of the proteins that make up myelin are Myelin basic protein (MBP), Myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein (MOG) and Proteolipid protein (PLP). Myelin is made up primarily of a glycolipid called galactocerebroside. The intertwining of the hydrocarbon chains of sphingomyelin serve to strengthen the myelin sheath.

If you grow Myeline and you can apply it to my damaged nerves I will still have ms!

If you ask a child "Why are you 5?" they will always say "Because I am". I agree. Why are you sick Dave?
Because I am.

We need to have a better understanding of the body if they want to find a cure. I don't think they will find it as they are being the 5 year old at the moment. They will be able to give you a nose job before they find a cure tho!

Be well
Dave
posted by personallog! @ 11:11 am  
3 Comments:
  • At 1:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi bud just had a read of your diary been a while since i looked not going to be back for a while but will let you know
    Steve (geordie)

     
  • At 1:08 pm, Blogger personallog! said…

    Ok bud! See you when you get here. I forgot this is a public blogand you can read it too...Dam!lol!

    Dave

     
  • At 4:28 pm, Blogger Jaime said…

    Okay you! I went to a talk recently and was told that we (people with MS) should have a more positive outlook on our illness. That we are NOT sick, we have MS. There is a difference. I used to always say I was sick too but if you are sick you have a cold, flu, etc. With MS you can still get on with your life (it may not be easy, but it is possible). We are not sick, we have MS. :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
ms....not just a diary
About Me

Name: personallog!
Home: St. Annes, Lancashire, United Kingdom
About Me:
I am 6ft 3" skinny and not well. I was diagnosed with ms in 2004 and I would like to speak with others who have ms. I have a want to raise money for ms charities. We have to find a cure for this hell!!!! See my complete profile

More of ME
ms/disabilty reads
Family
Other Interests
Previous Post
Archives