Wednesday, September 27, 2006
Another promising drug in phase 3! Fampridine-SR
The girls came:
Very polite and I hope I helped them with there studies. I really hope that I didnt scare them with the reality of ms either. Dave spreading the word of ms in my own small way..And I made them smile too! They thought I was about 27 and they said I looked young! Bless em!

Fampridine-SR click here for more info!

Fampridine-SR

Acorda Therapeutics, Inc
Fampridine-SR is a sustained-release tablet formulation of the investigational drug fampridine (4-aminopyridine, or 4-AP). Data collected in laboratory studies found that fampridine can improve the communication between damaged nerves, which may result in increased neurological function.

The thing about this drug that has shocked me is that its a pill!!! Yey! The improvement in walking is also something that raised my interest.

"Many people with MS experience nerve damage that eventually impairs walking. Currently, no therapies are indicated to improve neurological function, such as loss of mobility, in MS," said Andrew Goodman, M.D.,

If you click that quote it will take you to www.msrc.co.uk.
I liked having the 3 phases explained rather than have to go through them after a flare up. Do you know what they are?

1:To show that there were significantly more responders in the Fampridine-SR treated group than in the placebo group, as measured by the Timed 25-Foot Walk, a standard neurological test. A responder was defined as someone whose walking speed on the Timed 25-Foot Walk was consistently greater during at least three of four on-drug visits than the person's fastest speed on any of the five off-drug visits.
2:To demonstrate statistically significant improvement in walking speed on the last on-drug visit for the Fampridine-SR-treated responders compared to the placebo group.
3:To show that responders reported a significantly greater improvement than non-responders on the MSWS-12, a self-rated assessment of walking disability. This step was meant to validate the clinical meaningfulness of consistent improvement on the Timed 25-Foot Walk.

Hope you are all well.
Dave
posted by personallog! @ 8:32 am  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
ms....not just a diary
About Me

Name: personallog!
Home: St. Annes, Lancashire, United Kingdom
About Me:
I am 6ft 3" skinny and not well. I was diagnosed with ms in 2004 and I would like to speak with others who have ms. I have a want to raise money for ms charities. We have to find a cure for this hell!!!! See my complete profile

More of ME
ms/disabilty reads
Family
Other Interests
Previous Post
Archives