Thursday, September 28, 2006
The brain part 1!

I think there for I am! I want to find out what damage has been done to me and why it gave me the wobble in my stride. Doctors have 5 year of education before they reach this part. I am not going to be getting the exact place in the brain where I have been effected(that's what MRI's are for!). I am no doctor and won't claim to know all the answers but I hope this will help. Self diagnosis in any field can only lead to more questions which should only be answered by a medical professional...That's why we trust them isn't it?

1:The Cerebellum
Coordination and control of voluntary movement. This part of the brain I have heard being called the 'monkey brain'. The part of your head before it reaches your neck. Associated Signs and Symptoms:
*Tremors.
*Nystagmus (Involuntary movement of the eye).
*Ataxia, lack of coordination.

This part of the brain works in combination with different area's to give you balance. The symtoms I have shown above are common with different many different diseases and I have only shown them to give you view of how complex this is going to be. I have seen a news report recently thant explained that dislexia can be caused by problem here.

2:The brain stem/Mid brain
Nerve pathway of cerebral hemispheres.
Auditory and Visual reflex centers.
Cranial Nerves:
CN III - Oculomotor (Related to eye movement), [motor].
CN IV - Trochlear (Superior oblique muscle of the eye which rotates the eye down and out), [motor].
Associated Signs and Symptoms
*Weber's: CN III palsy and ptosis (drooping) ipsalateral (same side of body).
*Pupils:
*Size: Midposition to dilated.
Reactivity: Sluggish to fixed.
*LOC (Loss of consciousness): Varies
Movement: Abnormal extensor ( muscle that extends a part).
*Respiratory: Hyperventilating.
*CN (Cranial Nerve) Deficits: CN III, CN IV.

Have you turned off yet? These two parts don't even make up a 3rd of your brain but do tell me so much about the working brain and the path way for electical impulses that control my body. This is why they have to have a neurologist to diagnose you. Remember that this is the basics...

3:Pons(A very imporant piece for me)
Respiratory Center.
Cranial Nerves:
CN V - Trigeminal (Skin of face, tongue, teeth; muscle of mastication), [motor and sensory].
CN VI - Abducens (Lateral rectus muscle of eye which rotates eye outward), [motor].
CN VII - Facial (Muscles of expression), [motor and sensory].
CN VIII - Acoustic (Internal auditory passage), [sensory]. (a very important piece for musical appreciation! Thats where you feel bass on the inside of your head.)
Associated signs and symptoms:
*Pupils:
*Size: Pinpoint
*LOC:
Semi-coma
"Akinetic Mute".
"Locked In" Syndrome.
*Movement:
Abnormal extensor.
Withdrawal.
*Respiratory:
Apneustic (Abnormal respiration marked by sustained inhalation).
Hyperventilation.
*CN Deficits: CN VI, CN VII.

Still no where near a third of what your brain can do but I think it can show a couple of things that I need to look deeper into.........This is where I loose the fan base who wanted to hear about my diary. This is just a sample of what I am looking into.....I have just relised how much of my life will be missed if I continue down this path. Maybe a second blog is needed just so I can have a life and keep this as a seperate issue. Is this what you want to read or not? My brain hurts!

This next phase of ms is going to drive me nuts!
Hope you are well
Dave
posted by personallog! @ 1:36 pm  
7 Comments:
  • At 12:42 am, Blogger mdmhvonpa said…

    Just put the 2 parts into 2 posts/categories. One about the Humanity of your Life with MS, the other about the abstraction ... the quantification of your understanding of MS.

     
  • At 4:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Dave, have you heard of Low Dose Naltrexone for Multiple Sclerosis??? I haven't read through your archives so I don't know if you have ever mentioned it. It seems to really work for some people.

     
  • At 8:08 am, Blogger personallog! said…

    Naltrexone is used for people who are trying to get of heroin! see here:http://www.drugscope.org.uk/druginfo/drugsearch/ds_results.asp?file=%5Cwip%5C11%5C1%5C1%5Cnaltrexone.html

    What benifit would that do??? Are you talking about a treatment for ms?
    Naltrexone is a narcotic antagonist. It works by blocking the opioid receptors in the brain and therefore blocking the effects of heroin and other opioids. It has also been shown to reduce craving and consumption for some patients who are alcohol dependent. Those who take it know that they cannot achieve a 'high' from using heroin and that any money therefore spent on heroin will be wasted. It does not directly stop a person wanting to use heroin, although it may reduce or prevent cravings in some people.

    Why? I dont understand!

    Dave

     
  • At 6:52 am, Blogger Michelle said…

    Sorry Dave, I was having trouble with my internet connection and it looks like only half my post showed up. Low Dose Naltrexone is actually used for many autoimmune diseases. It was orignally used for kicking heroin, in higher dosages. Same idea as some of the chemo drugs used in lower dosages to treat MS.

    LDN is gaining popularity here for MS. I did a genaral internet search, there's a lot of information out there on it. Make sure you specify the low dose part. Here's 1 website, there's tons more if you do a search.
    http://lowdosenaltrexone.org/

    Take care,
    Michelle

     
  • At 6:57 am, Blogger Michelle said…

    here is a link to what the National MS Society says about LDN.

    http://g.msn.com/9SE/1?http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Clinup-Naltrexone.asp&&DI=293&IG=65a7efad28414d11834aa40501baebef&POS=2&CM=WPU&CE=2&CS=AWP&SR=2



    I considered trying it when things were going bad for me but I started improving with the Copaxone, so i didn't pursue it. Sounded interesting anyway.

     
  • At 7:16 am, Blogger Michelle said…

    http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=show&pageid=777



    I found a site in your part of the world!

    Are you getting tired of my comments yet??? :)

     
  • At 10:40 pm, Blogger personallog! said…

    Never from you!

    Dave

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
ms....not just a diary
About Me

Name: personallog!
Home: St. Annes, Lancashire, United Kingdom
About Me:
I am 6ft 3" skinny and not well. I was diagnosed with ms in 2004 and I would like to speak with others who have ms. I have a want to raise money for ms charities. We have to find a cure for this hell!!!! See my complete profile

More of ME
ms/disabilty reads
Family
Other Interests
Previous Post
Archives